RYA Start Sailing Level 1
Book today and pay your deposit of £150.00
This course is for those who have zero or limited dinghy sailing experience. It is the first level on the RYA Adult dinghy scheme.
The RYA Start Sailing Dinghy course provides a short introduction to sailing for novices. By the end of the course, participants will have a basic understanding of boat handling techniques and background knowledge.
2 day course.
RYA Start Sailing Level 1 certificate
- Can name basic parts of a boat (i.e. hull, mast, rudder, tiller, centerboard, sheets etc). Understands what action to take to help those in distress. Understands local hazards. Understands how to prepare for a tow.
Clothing and equipment
- Understands personal safety and knows what to wear for sailing (including head and footwear.
- Has knowledge of wind direction.
- Has wind awareness, knowledge of spars and rigging, parts of the sail, sail controls and foils
- Can tie a figure of eight, round turn and two half hitches and secure a rope to a cleat.
Sailing techniques and manoeuvres
- Reaching - sailing across the wind
- Stopping - lying-to
- Controlling speed
- Tracking - turning the front of the boat through the wind
- Getting out of irons
- Sailing upwind
- Sailing downwind
- Gybing - turning the back of the boat through the wind
|25th September '21||Fully Booked||£230.00||Unavailable|
|23rd October '21||Places Available||£230.00||Book Now|